2022 Top Book Picks
Favorites of 2022
Econogal’s 2022 Top Book Picks offer personal favorites from the past year. Just in time for the last minute holiday gift shopping. Most are recent releases but a few have releases as far back as 2000. I have divided the lists into three categories this year, fiction, non-fiction and children’s books.
It is always a tough decision on which books make the list. So, the 2022 Top Book Picks include nine in each section of adult reading material with a slightly shorter list of children’s books.
The genres range from futuristic to crime for the novels. And the non-fiction is just as eclectic with entries from self-help to economic thought. My new list of children’s books includes board books.
2022 Top Book Picks of Non-Fiction
I misremembered reading more non-fiction as one of my New Year’s Resolutions. Must have been from a prior year. Nonetheless, more of my reading in 2022 was non-fiction. Many of the books centered on home organization but the top three were critiques or reflections on the world around us. You can click on each title to link to my reviews.
- Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell
- Keeping At It by Paul Volcker and Christine Harper
- Reflections on a Life in Exile by J.F. Riordan
- Lose The Clutter Lose The Weight by Peter Walsh
- Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience and Finding Joy by Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant
- Understandable Economics: Because Understanding Our Economy is Easier Than You Think and More Important Than You Know by Howard Yaruss
- Freeze Fresh: The Ultimate Guide to Preserving 55 Fruits and Vegetables by Crystal Schmidt
- Hobby Farm- Living Your Rural Dream for Pleasure and Profit by Carol Ekarius
- Vail-Triumph of a Dream by Peter W. Seibert with William Oscar Johnson
Fiction: 2022 Top Book Picks
The fictional entries are always hard to pare down and this year is no exception. In fact, several of my favorite authors have been left off. But I think it is important to keep the list manageable.
- We Begin At The End by Chris Whitaker
- Piranesi by Susanna Clarke
- The Displacements by Bruce Holsinger
- The Fields by Erin Young
- You Have To Make Your Own Fun Around Here by Frances Macken
- Upgrade by Blake Crouch
- Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
- The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave
- Daylight by David Baldacci
New List in 2022: Children’s Books
The 2022 Top Book Picks includes a listing of this year’s favorite children’s books. With three grandkids, more time will be spent reading storybooks.
- How To Babysit A Grandma by Jean Reagan with illustrations by Lee Wildesh
- Winter’s Gift by Jane Monroe Donovan
- Chairs on Strike by Jennifer Jones
- Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse by Judy Schachner
- If a Horse Had Words by Kelly Cooper
- Santa’s Underwear by Marty Rhodes Figley with illustrations by Marty Kelley
- If Animals Trick-or-Treated by Ann Whitford Paul with Illustrations by David Walker
- Snowmen at Halloween by Carolyn M. Buehner with illustrations by Mark Buehner
Books as Gifts
Since books make great gifts, the end of the year compilation is handy. 2022 Top Book Picks is an eclectic mix of books. Just fitting for readers of the Econogal blog. Remember you can link to each review by clicking on the highlighted title. Happy shopping!